Current Events Resources

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Language Arts: Halloween Debate Initial Post Example

Capri W.
Green Core
Initial Post

Kids should stop trick-or-treating in 8th grade. This is because middle school age kids are at the point where they don't wear inappropriate costumes, they don't use fear to terrorize small children for amusement, and they still fully support the spirit of Halloween. 

One reason is that kids in middle school still look forward to Halloween mainly for the fun and spirit of it. Halloween is the one thing that doesn't go away for middle schoolers, unlike the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, and (of course) Santa. Halloween is the one enjoyable holiday that we have left; so, we might as well enjoy it and have some fun while we still can. 

My next reason is that kids in middle school (hopefully) won't be cruel to little kids just out of enjoyment, whereas high schoolers and older people will be tempted to. Halloween is a holiday for little kids to enjoy too, so why be tempted to ruin that for them? I remember that as a little girl walking the streets of Newberg with all of my friends, high schoolers would often wear very scary costumes that freaked us out and caused me to rethink trick-or-treating altogether. Relate back to when you were five and six. Did u enjoy being scared and tricked by high schoolers? Because I sure didn't. Anyways, I just think that kids in middle school are young enough to think rationally about scary costumes.

My final argument is that kids older than 8th grade often wear inappropriate costumes. Whether it is meant as a joke or not, it still shouldn't be happening. Little kids seeing older kids wearing inappropriate costumes and doing inappropriate things makes them think that it is OK to do so. I think we can all agree that this cycle can cause problems. Young kids should not have to watch older kids be bad examples on their night of fun.

I'm not saying that Halloween is strictly for kids, but I am saying that trick-or-treating should end in 8th grade. This is because of inappropriate costumes later on, high schoolers using scary costumes to terrorize small children (and even kids my age), and finally the fact that middle schoolers still enjoy the actual spirit of Halloween.

No comments: